Downtown Kenosha Construction Project – Summer 2017
Several Downtown Kenosha streets and sidewalks are getting a facelift this summer, and as the saying goes, things will look worse before they look better. So during this time, we’d like to ask for your patience and that you “pardon our dust” as we take another important step in our Downtown revitalization efforts. And most importantly, please continue to patronize Downtown Kenosha’s small businesses that are especially affected by this project. You’ll find many of them are going out of their way to help get you to their front (or back) doors with the least amount of inconvenience as possible.
Here are a few helpful notes about the project as well as tips for navigating the construction zone to get to your favorite Downtown businesses!
- Project timeline: May 22 – August 31, 2017
- Although some sidewalks will be closed at times, access to all businesses will remain open during construction.
- Affected areas:
- 6th Avenue from 55th Street to 59th Street and 6th Avenue ‘A’ (Library Park)
- 58th Street from 7th Avenue to 3rd Avenue
- Click here for map of the construction area.
- 6th Avenue – Construction will begin on the East side of 6th Avenue, closing the East side of the street and the sidewalk from 55th Street to Library Park. The West side of the street will remain open for one-way, Southbound traffic and parking. Once the East side of 6th Avenue is complete, work will switch to the West side and follow the same process as above.
- 58th Street – Construction will begin on the North side of 58th Street, closing the North side of the street and the sidewalk from 7th Avenue to 3rd Avenue. The South side of the Street will remain open for one-way, Eastbound traffic and parking. Once the North side of the street is complete, work will switch to the South side and follow the same process above.
- For ongoing project updates, visit the official City of Kenosha project website HERE.
Tips for Parking and Getting Around
- Parking will not be available on the street sides currently under construction. However, free street parking is available throughout Downtown, and there are several free public parking lots within a one to two block walk of the construction area, including:
- 55th Street & 6th Avenue
- 54th Street & 6th Avenue
- 5th Avenue & 56th Street
- 5th Avenue & 58th Street
- 8th Avenue & 58th Street
- Park anywhere along the 2-mile Electric Streetcar route and ride the Streetcar to the 56th Street & 6th Avenue stop and walk North or South on 6th Street to businesses.
- Follow your favorite businesses on Facebook for updates, offers, and special directions for accessing their business. Some are offering alternate entrances through back or side doors to avoid construction in front of their business.
- Click here for a full Downtown map showing public parking lots and Electric Streetcar route and stops.
If you have questions about accessing specific businesses during the Downtown Kenosha construction project, please call Downtown Kenosha, Inc. at (262) 842-5354 or email us here